In 1989, Stephen Covey, an American author, educator, and businessman, published his groundbreaking self-help book, 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. Regardless of income level, age, or career, anyone can learn and practice the skills he highlights in his book. Sometimes, however, it can be challenging for people to change their habits and introduce new ones. A financial consultant is someone without emotional ties who can help you apply these skills and work to develop a financial strategy that aligns with your financial goals.
- Be Proactive – You have to take responsibility for your life. Proactive people get out and deal with their responsibilities regardless of what challenges or obstacles might be in their way. If it is snowing outside, a reactive person will think, “It is snowing out, and so I will stay inside by the fire and reschedule the appointment with my financial professional to create a debt repayment plan.” A proactive person will bundle up and arrive at the meeting ready to make a difference in their lives.
- For an investor, being proactive and taking action sets you apart from those who want to invest or look forward to one day having financial independence. It is important to have a dream, but you also have to act on it. A financial professional can help you take those uncomfortable first steps as you pursue your financial goals.
- Begin With The End In Mind – Visualize who you are and where you want to go in life. You may be more motivated to pursue your aspirations if you have set goals.
- Jumping into the world of investing without having an end goal may not be the most beneficial approach. Investing is complicated and risky, and not having a strategy and direction to work toward may lead to uncertainty and mistakes. A financial professional can help you work toward creating a plan with an attainable end goal to motivate you to get there.
- Put First Things First – Establish a list of priorities and focus on the most essential first. It is critical not to become overextended and you should say no to tasks that can wait.
- You don’t have to do everything at once. That can become overwhelming. However, you also need to understand the importance of prioritizing which tasks should be done first and which can wait. A financial professional can help you determine which responsibilities should be focused on first to align with your financial goals.
- Think Win-Win – Approach conflicts or challenges with an abundance mentality. A win-win attitude can make it easier to deal with obstacles that might appear and allow you to think clearly without becoming overwhelmed.
- Everything will not always go your way. When you face challenges, it helps to approach them with a positive outlook and an abundance mentality. Thinking positively doesn’t magically fix everything; however, having this mindset can encourage you to work toward your goals and help you have the confidence and optimism to work with a financial professional as you learn from any mistakes and develop your financial acumen.
- Seek First to Understand – Make an effort to participate in active listening. Put your own experiences aside and try to understand someone else’s point of view. Put yourself in their shoes. A common characteristic of people at the pinnacle of their professions or careers is that they are perpetually learning. These people are always reading or learning from others with greater or different knowledge than themselves.
- Suppose you are interested in investing and financial planning. In that case, consulting a financial professional can help you learn more about these topics and your risk tolerance while you create a strategy to pursue your financial goals.
- Synergize – Be open to working with others. Have an open mind and be willing to work as a team. Two heads are better than one.
- Getting the help you need and being willing to work with someone who knows more than you can benefit your financial growth and help you sidestep mistakes that would otherwise be difficult to recognize before it is too late.
- Sharpen the Saw – You are the most important asset to your future well-being. It is essential to care for yourself, including paying yourself when you get paid and caring for your physical and mental health before worrying about other responsibilities.
- Enlisting the help of a financial professional who can work with you, create a financial plan and strategy, and provide you with techniques for managing your finances can save you time that you can then use to work on yourself.
Stephen Covey’s 7 Habits of Highly Effective People has inspired more than 40 million people. Schedule an appointment with a financial professional who can help you apply these skills to your own investment and financial planning strategy.
The opinions voiced in this material are for general information only and are not intended to provide specific advice or recommendations for any individual. To determine which investment(s) may be appropriate for you, consult your financial professional prior to investing.
Investing involves risks including possible loss of principal. No investment strategy or risk management technique can guarantee return or eliminate risk in all market environments.
All information is believed to be from reliable sources; however, LPL Financial makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy.
This script was prepared by LPL Marketing Solutions
LPL U Course in Time Management and Being Productive
LPL Tracking # 1-05372149